Like most people, I don’t really like to venture out of my comfort zone.
When I try new restaurants, I typically have two or three “safe” items that I know won’t let me down.
Grilled chicken with steamed veggies, chicken quesadillas, or a taco salad.
And *almost* always, the taco salad takes the cake.
There’s just something about the flavors of a taco, without the guilt of the tortillas and sour cream that wins me over.
So, naturally, when coming up with lunches that I could prep for the entire week – taco salads just kept creeping into my mind.
As with most salad jars – the key to keeping your salads fresh all week long, is in the layering. You always want your dressing on the bottom, followed by your meat and fruits/veggies, then cheese, topped with your greens.
When you’re ready to enjoy, dump the entire jar into a bowl or plate. Everything dumps out in order with your greens creating a bed for the rest of your toppings!
- Chopped Lettuce
- Cooked Chicken (Taco seasoned ground beef/turkey would be good too.)
- Corn, 1 can drained
- Black Beans, 1 can drained and rinsed
- Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Tortilla Strips
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. taco sauce (add more or less to taste.)
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together.
- Place 3-4 tablespoons of dressing in the bottom of each mason jar.
- Layer in the rest of the salad ingredients in the following order:
- Meat, beans, corn, tomatoes, cheese, tortilla strips, and lettuce.
- Make sure lettuce is packed in tightly, completely filling the jar.
- Screw on the top and jar lid to seal your salads.
- Refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- When ready to eat, dump into a bowl or plate – stir, and enjoy!
Make sure to “Like” the Facebook Page, and never miss a live video again!